Transactions Against Owners Equity

Bell John jbelllinux@yahoo.com
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 04:36:58 -0800 (PST)

I couldn't find an answer to this in either the
documentation or the archives which I found a little
surprising.  I'm not sure how to properly deal with
transactions to owners equity - ie. (1) Owner injects
capital into the business, and (2) Owner draws funds
from the business.

What is the correct mechanism to enable these
transactions in Gnucash?  According to the
documentation the Equity account type is used for
initial and carried forward balances which doesn't
really seem to cater for these cases.  Superficially
transactions between Equity and a cash asset (bank or
cash) account seem to work, though it would seem more
natural to have the equity accounts sign reversed as
are the revenue and expense accounts, but that's a
mionor point.  In a sense the owner could be treated
as a creditor, but I suspect this would break many
accounting rules and formulae.  Can anyone advise on
the "correct" way to carry out these transactions.