Running gnucash (was: Installation woes....)

Andrew Wallace andyw@scroom.com
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:19:58 -0800

Dave Peticolas wrote:

> Andrew Wallace writes:
> > I'm trying to install gnucash 1.4 (rpm file) on my Redhat 7.0
> > system. I wou,d up installing g-wrap 0.9.6, and SWIG 1.1p5, but
> > now the install tells me:
>
> If you're installing the binary (i386) rpm, then you don't
> need g-wrap or swig. Those are only used to build gnucash.
>
> For redhat-7.0, you should have guile-1.3.4 and umb-scheme-3.2
> installed.
>
> dave

I'm trying to build it. Not a straightforward process, to say
the least. I went to the tar file instead, and finally got it
to build earlier today. I installed guile-1.4, that didn't
work, reset back to guile-1.3.4, and then it built. But
umb-scheme - had no idea. I couldn't find scheme anywhere,
didn't think to look for it with a prefix. Thanks.

After some more mucking about, I managed to get it to
run - but only as root. If I try to run as myself, I get
this error:

  It appears you do not have the 'slib' scheme library installed.
  You need slib2c4 or later to run GnuCash.

  Obtain slib at: http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SLIB.html

  If you have slib installed, you may need to create
  a symbolic link named 'slib' from the guile directory
  (usually /usr/share/guile) to the directory where slib
  is installed.

  You may also need to run the following command as root:

    guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'new-catalog)"

Since it runs fine for root, there's obviously a permission
problem, but I can't figure it out. /usr/share/slib and
/usr/share/umb-scheme are 755, all the files in slib/* are
644. Everything is owned by root, though.

thanks for your help,
andy

--
   Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to
         use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

Read the SCROOMtimes!  http://www.scroom.com