Running gnucash (was: Installation woes....)

Andrew Wallace andyw@scroom.com
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:11:39 -0800

>> After some more mucking about, I managed to get it to
>> run - but only as root. If I try to run as myself, I get
>> this error:
>>
>>   It appears you do not have the 'slib' scheme library installed.
>>   You need slib2c4 or later to run GnuCash.
>>
>>   Obtain slib at: http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SLIB.html
>>
>>   If you have slib installed, you may need to create
>>   a symbolic link named 'slib' from the guile directory
>>   (usually /usr/share/guile) to the directory where slib
>>   is installed.
>>
>>   You may also need to run the following command as root:
>>
>>     guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'new-catalog)"
>>

>> Since it runs fine for root, there's obviously a permission
>> problem, but I can't figure it out. /usr/share/slib and
>> /usr/share/umb-scheme are 755, all the files in slib/* are
>> 644. Everything is owned by root, though.
> Generally once you run once as root this problem goes
> away. Have you tried running as non-root since then?

Ok, a little progress (or not). I tried once again, and
anyone can run gnucash when the current directory is
/usr/share. But not in the user's home directory.

andy

--
   Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to
         use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

Read the SCROOMtimes!  http://www.scroom.com