account transaction reports

Mike Sabin m_sabin@mindspring.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:44:14 -0700

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 10:57:21PM -0700, Greg Woods wrote:
> I discovered a very useful (almost) type of report: filtered account
> reports. I was trying to answer my wife's question about why the credit
> card bill was so high this month; what did we charge on the card? So
> naturally, I started looking at the transaction reports. It turns out
> that it's not too hard to get GnuCash to print a report of your
> transactions, sorted by which other account the charges went to. Great!
> Well, almost. The problem is the split transactions. GnuCash treats
> "split transaction" as if it were another account. What I want it to do,
> of course, is take the individual splits and report those in the
> accounts they belong to. When I do the report, about 30% of the total
> charges on the credit card were split transactions, and therefore don't
> show up in the actual expense accounts. This renders this report pretty
> much useless. SO I tried using filtered accounts, selecting all the
> expense accounts and running the "include transfers to/from filtered
> accounts" filter. THis eliminates the split transactions from showing up
> as a separate expense account, but it's still not counting the amounts
> from the individual splits. Is there some way to get GnuCash to do what
> I want? I am running the out-of-the-box 1.6.2 version that comes with
> Red Hat 7.2
>
> Thanks,
> --Greg

First, thanks for the earlier report.  I had recently gotten RH 7.2,
but not installed gnucash during the initial install.  I got it later
from the CD and tried to install it; it would not go, complaining of
a Guppi dependancy.  I looked on both binary cd's for Guppi, and did
not find it, tried Guppi off of gnucash.org (failed, of course) and
gave up, thinking Redhat must have screwed it up.  Your post made me
version, after all.

To respond to your question...

In gnucash 1.4, I used the Transaction Report to answer the type of
questions you are talking about.  After playing with 1.6 for a little
while, it seems that the profit and loss reports are so improved,
that I will be using them, instead.  Do they do what you want?

- Mike Sabin