[linas@linas.org: Re: Lost my gnome menu captions!]

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 23:58:31 -0600

----- Forwarded message from Linas Vepstas <linas@linas.org> -----

To: John.Thompson@attglobal.net
Cc: Linas Vepstas <linas@linas.org>, gnucas-user@gnucash.org
Subject: Re: Lost my gnome menu captions!
From: linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas)

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 06:33:31PM -0600, John Thompson was heard to remark:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 07:48:38AM -0600, John Thompson was heard to remark:
> > >
> > > This looked to me like the linked libraries gnucash uses were changed, so
> > > I recompiled and reinstalled gnome-libs-1.2.13-8 and gnome-core-1.2.4-16
> > > but nothing has changed.  I then recompiled and reinstalled gnucash with a
> > > similar lack of success.
>
> > Since that didn't fix it, I scratched my head and thought 'what about
> > libc might change that would cause this'?  And the only thing I can
> > think of is 'localization': i.e. The libc config files having to do with
> > time zones and language selection.  I.e. 'gettext': gnucash/gnome cannot
> > figure out which language you speak, and thus can't load the message
> > catalogues (i.e. libc is failing to default to C/English for some
> > reason).  Instead of getting english menu items you are getting blanks.
> >
> > Thus, review/reinstall the language configuration files associated with
> > libc.
>
> Thanks for replying.  The solution was embarrassingly trivial, and had
> nothing really to do with gettext or libc language files, but your reply
> but me on the right track to find the solution.  You've probably guessed
> it already.  The "LANG=en" variable was missing from my environment.  It
> has now been restored and all is well.

No need to be embarassed.  This is one of the 'problems' with computers:
when they screw up, its often very hard to diagnose.  I wish there was a
better way ...

anyway, do check the config, its supposed to default to the "C"
environment, which should be the same as "En_US" I think ...

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>

----- End forwarded message -----