Account type choice

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws@murraytel.com.au
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:42:50 +1100

Yes, I understand that for accounting purposes, it is either a current asset
or a long-term asset, depending on how long it has to run.  Australian
practice is that anything with 12 months or less to run is a current asset.
But the asset category in gnucash allows for revaluation of the asset, which
is irrelevant in this case.  I think that I might leave it as a bank account,
while acknowledging that it is really incorrect.  It is part of my personal
accounts, not business, so it doesn't need to be classified for a balance
sheet or any similar purpose.

BTW, what do accountants do when the maturity date of a long-term asset gets
closer than 12 months?  Do they change its category in the books?  I am a
lawyer, not an accountant, so I haven't learned these finer points.

Thanks,

Doug.