Automatic loan payment calculation.

Roland Roberts roland@astrofoto.org
06 Nov 2001 20:59:04 -0500

    Doug> Yes, Quicken's Help file says that there is a slight
    Doug> difference between the two, but oesn't say exactly what it
    Doug> is.  That is why Quicken's Reconcile window includes an
    Doug> Adjustment feature that creates a balancing adjustment.  In
    Doug> my experience also, the difference has been only a few
    Doug> cents.

In my experience it has been quite a bit more, but the student loans
in question were fairly large.  At some point, I just gave up and did
periodic adjustments charged against a student loan interest account.

The equations are basically the difference between simple interest on
the balance due and compound interest (in some incarnation, e.g.,
monthly, weekly, daily, or continuously compounded).

I've always assumed it was because Quicken was stupid.  After all,
when I imported all my mutual fund accounts into GnuCash, I had to go
back and correct most of the transactions due to Quicken's rounding
scheme.

roland
--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD