Reconciling across book boundaries.

Timothy J. Miller cerebus@sackheads.org
07 Nov 2001 08:18:43 -0600

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I was wondering how
one reconciles transactions in gnucash if the reconciliation period
crosses a fiscal boundary.

For example, assume I close my books at year's end, and open a new set
on 1 Jan 02.  My bank statements, for whatever inscrutible banking
reason, cover periods from mid-month to mid-month; so my first 2002
statement will cover 15-Dec-01 -- 15 Jan 02.

The only thing I can think of would be to reopen the '01 books,
reconcile all '01 transactions, then close them and open the '02 books,
and change the opening balances for affected accounts to reflect the
reconciled ending balance for the '01 books.  Then finish reconciling
the '02 transactions.

Seems messy.  Is this right?  Are there any gotchas to look for?

And a side question-- is there a way to copy the account tree of one set
of books to another without bringing the balances along?

-- Cerebus