account transaction reports

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 00:36:36 -0600

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 07:37:23AM +1100, Doug Laidlaw was heard to remark:
> A split transaction in the credit card account should be identifiable in =
each=20
> expense account involved as coming from the credit card, because at that=
=20
> "end" of the transaction it isn't a split. =20

Gnucash does not explicitly mark 'each end' of a transaction. All splits
are created equal: they must total to zero, but other than that, there
is no imposed ordering or special treatment.  There is no way to mark
'each end', because its fundamentally ambiguous.

However ... You can implicitly deduce the 'other end':  it is the split
(or splits) whose sign is opposite of the current split.  However, its
not foolproof:

credit card -  buy thing   $100
                   tax      $13
                rebate     -$50
expense account  net       -$63
                        ---------
              total          $0.00   =20

How, exactly, does one go about carving that one up? which end was
which?  (esp if we put the rebate into the expense acount, as an
'income') Confusing, eh?

--=20
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>
PGP Key fingerprint =3D 8305 2521 6000 0B5E 8984  3F54 64A9 9A82 0104 5933