Split transactions

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws@murraytel.com.au
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:43:46 +1100

When i try to enter split transactions, gnucash adjusts figures along the way
to make things balance.  That is good.  But if I add an item to the list, the
program alters another specific item I have already entered, to make them all
add up to the total.  This means that I never know how to sort it out.

Is there a way of having a dummy entry to absorb these changes, and which
will eventually be zero?  Short of creating a nominal account called "dummy",
I mean  I haven't really noticed, but the item that changes all the time
might be the first.

Another option might be to let me type anything but refuse to save the
transaction if it doesn't balance,  but I have promised not to suggest any
more programming changes, and it isn't much use without a "helper" line which
keeps track of the difference.

The moral of this and the previous posting seems to be: split transactions
are undesirable.

Regards,

Doug.