when you're used to quicken's /classes

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:25:40 -0500

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 04:08:28PM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson was heard to remark:
> I'm working on converting to gnucash.
>
> One of the stumbling blocks I haven't quite figured out is how gc
> deals with what quicken conceptually thinks of as classes (essentially
> an orthogonal accounting method).
>
> As an example, suppose I keep track of lodging, dining, and travel
> expenses, but I also want to keep track of when those expenses are
> incurred for work, everyday life, or vacation purposes. Quicken solves
> this with clases, so I get a 3x3 grid.
>
> Imagine that this is nxm so it's not as easy to solve by making a
> whole lot of accounts.
>
> A more practical example is that I own real estate, and keep track of
> various items (rent, landscaping, repairs, etc.) for each apartment,
> but would like to be able to easily aggregate them to see how I'm
> doing in toto.
>
> I'd appreciate any pointers on how to think of this and do this in gc.

The intent was to handle this with the 'action' field (the second or
third field from the left in the register).  The idea was to be able to
able to select one or more 'actions' for a split, as well as define your
own (in addition to the small set of predefined defaults).   However,
this functionality is currently crippled; also, there are no reports
that allow you to get summaries based on the value of the action field.
(although you can query for a list of transations with s specific set
action.)

Fully enabling a correctly functioning 'action' field in gnucash
is probably one of the simpler unfinished work items ... we need someone
to step up to the plate on this ..

-- linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>
     Key fingerprint = 8305 2521 6000 0B5E 8984  3F54 64A9 9A82 0104 5933