Deposit Slip

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer@exit109.com
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 07:44:12 -0400

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

> I saw your screen shots.  You have no deposit slip.  You should have a
> deposit slip, where cash and checks can be entered in a batch and then
> the appropriate deposit slip(s) and cash report are printed.  This is
> really only a sort of temporary account, but no postings are done until
> after printing.
>
> Your program is useless for many people without it.  The reason you
> don't have it is because you slavishly imitate the commercial checkbook
> programs, which don't have it because the publishers think they don't
> have to have it.  Thus you imitate them in dishing out what *they* say
> users should want.  If you had a deposit slip, which searches the
> previous entries of course, you would quickly get serious numbers of new
> users, because they would drop the likes of Quicken like a hot rock.

I still use Quicken (99 DeLuxe) for a several reasons (not in order of
importance):

1.) It prints checks.
2.) TurboTax can import my stuff directly.
3.) I can download my transactions from my Broker and my American
Express account.
4.) It handles scheduled transactions.

I try to run GnuCash 1.4.12 in parallel on this machine because I would
really like to get Windows 95 off my other machine altogether and run
Linux on it full time. (This machine is Linux-only).

The things I really dislike about GnuCash, at least 1.4.12, are:

1.) When I set the size of a window, it does not remember it from
invocation to invocation.
2.) When I customize a report, it does not remember it from invocatioin
to invocation.
3.) I cannot really figure out how to customize the tax report, so I get
surprising results each time I try to run it.

I have not upgraded to 1.6.* GnuCash. I downloaded
gnucash-1.6.0-1.i386.rpm, but it would not install. I read all the
problems others have in installing the 1.6 versions, and decided to wait
a while.

I do not know what your issue about deposit slips means. Whenever I get
a check or something, I have no trouble entering a deposit. Since each
cash or check income item is typically from a different source, and may
be credited to a different account, I just go to the appropriate account
of my Income accounts and make the entries.

An alternative approach I sometimes use is to go to my cash account or
my checking account Asset account and make entries there. It depends on
how the deposits are grouped.

Are you requesting a screen where you specify both the "From" and "To"
accounts on each line, and that the program make the proper entries that
way? I have paper deposit slips from my bank, but they work like my
"alternative approach", above. I.e., they assume I am depositing to my
checking account.

You seem very angry. Have the designers of GnuCash offended you in some
way?

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.