Reconciling after QIF import; Quicken conversion

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:31:19 -0400

In a message dated: 18 Oct 2001 13:22:38 EDT
Roland Roberts said:

>    Rob> Myself, I down load qif's from my bank at least every week.
>    Rob> All my scheduled transactions are handled by the bank (power
>    Rob> and phone bill, mortgage payments etc) and as such are
>    Rob> represented in the qifs...

I tried this, however, the QIFs my bank creates are brain dead:

	D09/24/01
	P<Payee Name Deleted>        Ref# 010061 Bill Payment
	T-50.00
	M<Payee Name Deleted>        Ref# 010061 Bill Payment
	C*
	^

In order to use these, I still have to go through and decipher
everything manually.  The only advantage I have is that there in
chronological order.  I did write a perl script to go through and
massage some of this into something that made sense.  However, even
after that, there's still a lot of detail left out of most
transactions that I want.

>Well, we're in the habit of writing checks and entering them into
>Quicken/GnuCash at that time.  So if we downloaded QIFs we would have
>them twice and we'd still have to fix up the QIF entries.  The
>scheduled transactions let us do everything in full detail without
>messing with downloaded QIFs.

At this point, it's a lot easier and less frustrating for me to do
this as well.  Are scheduled txns working yet?  I'm still at 1.6.1 I
think.  Is it time to upgrade again?
--

Seeya,
Paul

			  God Bless America!

	...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
		and we never stop trying to be better.
		       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon