Reconciling after QIF import; Quicken conversion

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:59:55 -0500

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 05:18:30PM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:
>
> > I'm wondering whether we should think about creating a generic
> > 'translation service', that could recognize transactions of a certain
> > sort, (such as those delivered by the bank), and 'convert' them
> > to the form that you want them?
>
> I basically started writing a Perl script to massage all of my Banks'
> QIF files into something "Reasonable."  Some of my banks work fine
> without any massaging (e.g. Chase Credit Card).  Some banks require
> a LOT of massaging (e.g. Vanguard).  Some banks require a little
> massaging (e.g. NetBank).
>
> Perhaps we might want to be able to modularize the QIF import so that
> we can add specific rules?  For example, it's fairly easy to
> categorize the ways NetBank screws up (Vanguard is much more
> challenging to categorize due to the information loss with multiple
> Vanguard accounts -- in particular the lack of "destination"
> information of cross-account transfers).

Well, I was suggesting that essentially the same problems will occur
with OFX support, so a non-qif-specific solution would be best.

(similar thoughts apply to any import source ... e.g. now that gtt
is a kind of 'mini-consultants-billing-system', it could export
data billing data, but maybe not quite in the format you'd want ...)

> > I would imagine that the 'scheduled payment' infrastructure would
> > be handy for this, in that a scheduled transaction is a kind of a
> > template that is filled out with the 'real data'.
>
> Something like this would certainly help, if the QIF importer actually
> looked at that earlier in the import process.  Currently the importer
> tries to do account matching well before it tries to perform
> transaction matching.

Hmmm.
I guess it would have to be changed to a two-stage process: first, read
the data in, blindly, & stuff it into a stand-alone gnucash account
tree.  Then, in the second pass, one would scan/filter/match accounts
and transactions in that stand-alone tree, and merge them into the
main tree.

> > So, for instance, during QIF import, we'd look at a transaction,
> > and notice that it matchs up to a template in a table of 'scheduled
> > transactions'.  We'd then fill-in the blanks (date, amount) in the
> > template from the QIF data ....
>
> -derek

--linas

--