Duplicate entries. Reconciliation.

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws@murraytel.com.au
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 09:53:58 +1100

Someone recently asked about files downloaded from his financial institution
duplicating transactions already recorded, and how to prevent this.  Sorry, I
deleted the message before decicing that I had something to say about it.

The problem is that downloaded files have cheque numbers and no payees.  In
my case, in the QIF file, the cheque number appears in the Payee field, so it
won't match with the Number field on the ledger.

I find these duplications invaluable for reconciliation purposes.  If I find
such an entry, I mark the original entry as cleared, then delete the
downloaded entry.  That way, I can keep my account balanced as I go along,
and I don have to wait for a statement.

One feature I would like to see is the ability to preserve cleared entries if
the reconciliation doesn't work, so I don't have to start from scratch next
time.  I am a long time Quicken user, and Quicken has this.

Doug.