account transaction reports

Greg Woods greg@gregandeva.net
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:57:21 -0700

I discovered a very useful (almost) type of report: filtered account
reports. I was trying to answer my wife's question about why the credit
card bill was so high this month; what did we charge on the card? So
naturally, I started looking at the transaction reports. It turns out
that it's not too hard to get GnuCash to print a report of your
transactions, sorted by which other account the charges went to. Great!
Well, almost. The problem is the split transactions. GnuCash treats
"split transaction" as if it were another account. What I want it to do,
of course, is take the individual splits and report those in the
accounts they belong to. When I do the report, about 30% of the total
charges on the credit card were split transactions, and therefore don't
show up in the actual expense accounts. This renders this report pretty
much useless. SO I tried using filtered accounts, selecting all the
expense accounts and running the "include transfers to/from filtered
accounts" filter. THis eliminates the split transactions from showing up
as a separate expense account, but it's still not counting the amounts
from the individual splits. Is there some way to get GnuCash to do what
I want? I am running the out-of-the-box 1.6.2 version that comes with
Red Hat 7.2

Thanks,
--Greg