Closeout intructions.

Paul Pantages pdpantages@prodigy.net
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 02:56:59 +0600

Hi Gnucashers,

Can someone point me to detailed instructions on how to close out
accounts at the end of fiscal year?

I want to find out how to handle assets (stocks etc.) that I must/want
to keep historical records for reports and capital gains.

For example, I have transfers to asset accounts from income.salary
(direct dep) and asset.checking accounts. I know how to close out the
income/expense & checking accounts, but this will orphan interactions
with the securties accounts. If I close out the securities accounts, I
will lose the history, i.e., purchase price & date.

The manual mentions how to use the equity accounts to start a new
period, but doesn't go into this issue at all.

Am I missing something? This must have been done many times before by
people. I poked around the Web too, but could not find anything.

PdP
|Paul Pantages                                                              |
|  pdpantages@prodigy.net                                                   |
| Si vis pacem... parabellum                                                |