Will GnuCash ever work for me?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:01:13 -0500

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 12:55:12PM -0400, Tim was heard to remark:
> Hey..
>
> This all started for me when I decided WinXP was where I was gettin' off the
> Micro$oft train, and so bought Mandrake 8.0, which comes with GNUCash 1.4.
> Then I tried to load QIF files exported from MS Money and it gave me a
> message that I needed to upgrade to a newer version.

I'm not sure how that message got in there.  I think its a mistake,
and should probably be removed.

> So I went to
> gnucash.org and it seemed simple - everythings's in the GNUCash 1.6.1 rpm
> except Guile & Guppi, basically - hey, even I can do this, right?...

Well, propbably not.  Upgrading to gnucash-1.6 is difficult.  My
apologies for this, but its just a fact of life.  The right thing to
do is to wait for mandrake 8.1 or whatever version includes gnucash-1.6.
Screwing with this, as you have learned, just gives you carpet burns.

Amybe we need to figure out a polite way of saying just exactly this,
and putting it on the website.

--linas