Will GnuCash ever work for me?

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
17 Sep 2001 14:36:35 -0700

--=-A8UM/f54IxC5riOruzvn

On Mon, 2001-09-17 at 14:14, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> > I can't promise that this won't happen again.  It may or may not. It
> > depends on what new features gnucash will need, and what new features
> > that other bleeding edge libraries will be providing.  And it depends o=
> > how quickly the existing distributions psupport the new libraries.
> > Although its been painful to front-run, if we hadn't, then gnucash 1.6
> > today wouldn't be as sophisticated as it is.  Meanwhile, I've found tha=
> > 1.4 works great for most of my needs.  And if it happens again, then
> > stick to 1.6.  Don't upgrade until your base distro has upgraded.
>=20
> Have you considered running features in two versions?  Its more work but
> doesnt alienate slow adopters (teh majority of users)

We didn't add new dependencies gratuitously,
we added them to support the new features. Otherwise, there wouldn't
*be* a GnuCash 1.6, or at least it wouldn't have nearly as many features
as it does since we would have to spend our time writing the=20
functionality that 1.6 gets from other libraries.

GnuCash 1.6 will be in the next releases of the major distros.

dave

--=-A8UM/f54IxC5riOruzvn

--=-A8UM/f54IxC5riOruzvn--