Will GnuCash ever work for me?

Scott Lambert lambert@lambertfam.org
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:19:01 -0500

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 12:50:39PM -0700, Andy Davidson wrote:
> I ran into similar difficulties and just gave up.  I upgraded my copy of
> Quicken and am back using it on Windows.  I'll just wait for this to settle
> out when Debian Woody comes out.
>
> But my concern is: will I run into this same convoluted mess with some
> future revision of gnucash?  Or is this likely to be a one-time disaster? I
> don't want to become dependent on an application that is going to foul me
> up in the future.

Not to begin an OS holy war, but the FreeBSD ports system is very nice for
things like this.  I had no problems upgrading to GnuCash 1.6.2 from 1.4.12.

Some brave soul, sometimes the port maintainer, figures out how to do the
upgrade and what the dependencies are.  We lowly users reap the benefits.

If you aren't already married to Linux for some particular purpose, you
may want to try FreeBSD.  I liken the difficulty of learning Linux vs.
FreeBSD to the difficulties levels of learning Algebra vs. Geometry.
Different individuals love or hate each one.  For some people there is
no difference in learning difficulty.  I think we would all prefer to
see you using some form of *nix rather than Microsoft's latest convoluted
mess.

--
Scott Lambert          KC5MLE            Unix SysAdmin -- Looking for work.
lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html