XML-RPC interface (was: Will GnuCash ever work for me?)

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 19:56:03 -0500

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 05:57:23PM -0500, Bill Gribble was heard to remark:
> On Mon, 2001-09-24 at 16:51, Jeb Bateman wrote:
> > I'd be interested in that.  Anything that makes GnuCash able to talk
> > to arbitrary front-ends is a Good Thing, IMHO.  The only other thing
> > is that I would like the backend to be able to run behind Apache.
> > Maybe that's what your XML-RPC interface does(?)
>
> That's right.  There's a CGI wrapper that manages Gnucash "sessions"
> (now I think I could have done it using PCGI, but didn't know at the
> time) and you make the calls through XML-RPC, passing a session ID as
> the first argument.
>
> It will be a little while before I put this into CVS; there are still
> some issues to resolve about what API gets published and how some data
> types are handled.

Tell me more.  You know, of course, that I had once started work on a
gnucash-cgi-bin, so I'm surprised to read the above.

(The code I have is checked into src/experimental/cgi-bin , but it
got broken when the XML file format was changed.)

I'm curious to hear what Jeb means by 'arbitrary front-ends', as it
must certainly differ from the vision I had of gnucash as a kind of
'applet' that can be embedded onto web pages.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>
     Key fingerprint = 8305 2521 6000 0B5E 8984  3F54 64A9 9A82 0104 5933