Debit or Credit ?

Reinhard Mueller reinhard.mueller@bytewise.at
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:23:21 +0200

Christian Stimming wrote:

>>The last 3 columns for my bank account (type bank) are:
>>   Debit        Credit       Balance   (or:)
>>   Belastung    Gutschrift   Saldo     (respectively in German)
>
> You are using the "accounting labels" for the columns in the register. I
> can't really explain  why professional accountants use the labels in the
> first way, but they do, and that's why we provide it that way in GnuCash.

I am not a *professional* accountant, but AFAIK they use the German
terms "Soll" and "Haben", and nothing else. "Belastung" and "Gutschrift"
is non-accounting talk.

If possible, the "accounting labels" variant should read "Soll" and
"Haben" IMHO, and the non-accounting labels maybe "Einnahme" and
"Ausgabe" which could be best understandable to non-accountants.

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Mueller
GNU Enterprise project