XML-RPC interface

Rob Brown-Bayliss on_the_net@clear.net.nz
26 Sep 2001 16:54:49 +1200

On Wed, 2001-09-26 at 15:00, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> What I keep trying to say is that most people should *not* look at the
> backends at all.  Its clear that we still need to implement one or two
> more, so that we can really have a generic server.   But ordinary
> 'users' should be coding to the engine api.  The backends are supposed
> to be off-limits, and have a kind-of special relationship with the
> engine.

Having an xml-rpc server (or I guess in this case it's a xml-rpc client
in place of a gui client) sitting on a machine, talking directly to the
engine would allow incorporating gnucash into other apps...  for example
(close to my heart) a POS system could use gnucash as the accounting
system, leaving it free to deal with sales and stock management.

The site would then stil be able to choose either a postgres or file
based back end.  The advantage as I see it of an xml-rpc connection is
every language would then magiacally work with gnucash, rather than
messing about wraping the current engine calls every time they change.

--

  Rob Brown-Bayliss