XML size (was: no subject)

Robert A. Uhl ruhl@4dv.net
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:33:54 -0700

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 07:31:04AM -0800, Jesse Becker wrote:

> Funny, I haven't noticed the memory footprint increasing as much with the
> size of my data file.  Granted, it gets larger, but not signifigantly so;
> Using gnome certainly doens't help in this regard either.  The fact Gnucash
> has such a large footprint will *only* get worse if an SQL system is used.

Also note that SQL really isn't the ideal language for this sort of
thing.  It has a place, but I don't believe that place is here.

> Additionally, parsing text files is not painful unless you have a slow hard
> disk and litte RAM; if that's the case, *everything* you do is going to be
> slow, not just Gnucash.

And if the data are written as Scheme special forms/macros, then the
parsing is going to be pretty damned quick...

> It's more code that needs to be executed, ergo a longer startup time.  By
> the same token, a parser for an ASCII/XML file also takes time to run, but
> I'd guess it's less that is needed to load a database parser.

The parser for Scheme is already loaded...

--
Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."