XML size (was: no subject)

Paul Lussier plussier@mindspring.com
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 23:09:41 -0500

In a message dated: 03 Apr 2002 20:45:35 EST
Derek Atkins said:

>> I should be able to do something like:
>>
>> 	gnucash --export gnucash.xac > gnucash.txt
>
>I think that a text/curses-based Gnucash application/UI is a Good
>Idea, but is orthogonal to the data format issue.

I'm not looking for a text/curses-based GnuCash (though I do think
it's a great idea).  I just want to be able to import/export the data
from/to ascii without requiring either X or the graphical front end
of Gnucash.  Using the proposed command line above I should see
nothing but whatever is sent to stderr, and be returned to a command
prompt silently.  I should also end up with a file called
'gnucash.txt' in the cwd which contains all the data from the
binary/SQL file.  This is just an idea, however, something to
consider along with the import/export feature.

My point is that I want to, over a slow dial-up link, be able to
export or import my data from/to gnucash without requiring an
graphical display.  I'm not saying that I want to then manipulate the
data in any other alternative interface.  Sorry if I didn't make that
clear.

>As for text export, I _DID_ say export and import.  Perhaps you missed
>it (or perhaps it was in one of the personal replies instead of one on
>the list).

I evidently missed that, and Rob Browning kindly pointed out that
'import' would be a requirement.

>Note that with MySQL, you can always run the db_dump and db_restore
>functions, even with an embedded database.

If you say so, I know nothing of the internals of MySQL, so I'll have
to trust you :)
--

Seeya,
Paul