Error reading data base

Jeff Abrahamson jeff@purple.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:38:52 +0200

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 12:58:37PM -0700, Bruce Ganton wrote:
> I have recently converted all my Quicken Accounts to Gnucash and
> everything seemed hunky-dory.  Now, when I try to open the file I get an
> error message saying the file appears to require a newer version of
> Gnucash.  This is impossible of course.  I am using Gnucash 1.4.11
> from/on Suse 7.2 professional.  Can anyone tell me how to recover my
> work and save another three weekends of converting.  Thanks.

I've seen this error when the file is total garbage (in my case
because I asked gnucash to open a .log file). So the error could
simply represent a bad file.

Are you sure you're asking gnucash to open the correct file?

If all else fails, note that each time you save, you generate a .xac
file that is the last version you'd saved. And the .log files are
nearly human readable and can tell you what you've done since the last
save.

Since gnucash does not currently replay its log files on launch after
a crash, frequent saving is strongly advised, alas.

If you're going to experiment, you might want to do it in a new
directory just to keep sanity in case you need to try several
things.

--
 Jeff