Nothing works on Red Hat

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
01 Dec 2002 11:22:22 +1100

On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 10:26, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I tried to load the gnucash rpm shipped with Red Hat 7.3 on Red
> Hat 7.3 and it will not load because there is a library missing that it
> needs. Anyone who makes a rpm to be used with Red Hat that fails
> dependancy is not trying to make a software for wide use.

Karl,
A couple of points for you to consider:
1. The gnucash team don't produce the rpms that ship on the redhat CD's
- redhat make them. We produce the code and documentation, and test it
all. As an assistance to our users, we do produce rpms of new versions
that fix bugs when they are released, but we are only able to produce
binary rpms that work on systems substantially similar to our own. There
is nothing we can do about this - we do not have a great big farm of
machines running a whole variety of different configurations, we have
our own personal workstations, and we need to use these for our own
personal use (including further improvements to gnucash).
2. Having said the above, I can assure you that the gnucash rpms in both
Redhat 7.3 and Redhat 8.0 DO work with the libraries shipped on those
CD-ROMs. I know the 7.3 one works because that was what I was using
until very recently (when an evolution upgrade broke it). If there is a
library missing, it is on the CD somewhere. If you need assistance to
find what package it is in, ask. Both the developers and the other users
on this list are quite happy to help.
3. As I have said on this list before, please don't critisise the
gnucash developers for faults in package management software. We produce
gnucash. We do not work for Redhat, or any other organisation
responsible for shipping this software. We're volunteers. We do not have
control over everything that happens in the linux world.

> 	So if this was a bond I would rate gnucash a "junk bond". I will
> keep my red Hat 7.2 around just to use gnucash that runs well in that
> version.

Or alternatively, you can consider what I have said above, and rather
than slagging off at some hard working innocents you could approach this
list with a positive request for help.

Conrad
One of the Gnucash developers.