Nothing works on Red Hat

Rich Shepard rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:55:47 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> If you click on File you find 1. /home/karl/cash and 2.
> /home/karl/cash/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx file. I can click on these and a
> panel comes up saying it failed to open these. I can find no way to
> delete them.

Karl,

  What permissions do you have on these files?

> I have looked around and found suppossedly all the files for gnucash in
> the directory /etc/gnucash/ and /usr/share/gnucash/ but it can't be all
> because I deleted both of these directories, then uninstalled gnucash
> and and re-installed it. But the first time I bring it up they are back
> in the same place. Changes I made in preferances stay even when I have
> deleted the stuff.

  Did you run, as root, 'find / -name gnucash'? That'll locate everything on
your system.

> Can you tell me where these things are stored? Is it somewhere under
> /tmp/ or god knows where? If I can get a true new version to work with I
> might get it working on Red Hat 8.

  I have a directory entitled '.gnucash' in my home directory. That contains
two other directories, books/ and data/, plus config-1.6.auto.

  Also, as root, run 'rpm -e gnucash-<version>' and that should take out
everything for you. Then, when you try re-installing, let us know what
dependency errors you get.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)