Changes in Mutual Funds Not Captured

David Overton doverton@bigpond.net.au
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:44:50 +1100

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 09:33:23PM -0600, Don Miles wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am a new user of Gnucash and a new reader of this list, so I'm not
> sure my question is appropriate for this forum.
>
> I'm trying to set up Gnucash to manage my family finances and am using
> version 1.6.7, which came with Mandrake Linux 9.0.  I have encountered
> a problem and don't know whether it's a bug, or if I just don't have
> things set up right.
>
> Whenever I run the price editor to update the NAV for my mutual fund
> accounts, the changes in value for theses funds are reflected in the
> appropriate asset portions of the account tree.  But when I create a
> new balance sheet report,  the values shown reflect balances prior to
> performing the price editor update.  It looks as if the balance sheet
> numbers are based on values in the equity account, and the changes
> generated by running the price editor are not being recorded there.
>
> Do I have something set up wrong?  Any help appreciated.

In the options for the balance sheet, you need to change `price source'
from `weighted average' to `nearest in time'.  `Weighted average' is
calculated from the actual transactions in the account (if opening
balance is the only transaction then that's the price that will be used)
whereas `nearest in time' and `most recent' both use prices from the
price editor: `nearest in time' gives you the price that is closest to
the report date; `most recent' give you the most recent price available.

David