GnuCash vs. Quicken

Cam Ellison cam@ellisonet.ca
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:07:39 -0800

* Ray Abbitt (rabbitt@abbitt.org) wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Daryl Lee wrote:
>=20
> > I let Quicken die a quiet death after several years of use and annual
> > upgrades at $45 a pop  and began starting over again today with
> > Gnucash.  I don't find the double-entry accounting any more challenging
> > than with Quicken.  The only real difference between the two is that wh=
at
> > Quicken calls "categories" are well and truly accounts; Gnucash just
> > recognizes that fact with their terminology and user interface.
>=20
> I only upgraded every three or four years, but I've been using Quicken=20
> since the dos days. But I haven't (and won't) bought another Intuit=20
> product or upgrade since they started spamming (and sold the address=20
> to other spammers) the address I gave them for my electronic tax=20
> filing. (And yes, I unchecked their "opt-in to spam" box.) Spam to=20
> that address (which was never given to anybody but Intuit) has come=20
> from intuit.com, quicken.com, emaginet.com, os-0.com and overstock.com
> Despite almost 2 years of bounces (550 f___ off spammer) intuit.com=20
> and quicken.com are still trying to send to me at least twice a month.
>=20

I fortunately did not go that far with Quicken that I had to deal with
the spam.  The thing that used to drive me wild about was the fact
that you couldn't (can't) do proper transfers between accounts with
it.  Trying to show changes in assets could be crazy-making.  Coming
to Gnucash was like a breath of fresh air.  Double-entry is logical,
and also forces you to be more mindful about what you're doing with
your money.

Cam

--=20
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.