Loan Question

Jochen De Smet jochen@antwerpen.be
04 Dec 2002 23:59:37 -0500

I'm having more or less the same problem. The difference is
that i booked the liability in two steps. I entered a transfer
from the liability account to my bank account for the principal
and a transfer from the liability account to an expense account
for the interest.

So when i make a payment i make a transfer from my bank account
into my liability account.

The result of this zeroes out nicely when the whole loan will be
paid: the liability will be zero and the expense account will
correctly show the amount of interest paid.

The problem i'm having is that this puts the complete interest
amount as expense right from the start. This seriously skews
all reports wrt expenses. I haven't found a way yet to both have
the liability show the correct amount up till now for the
"interest paid" expense.

J.