Rapid version changes

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
08 Dec 2002 22:49:10 +1100

On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 12:02, Bob Holtzman wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> > I think the designers of gnucash should check with all the Linux suppliers
> > and get a library list from them. Then if Red Hat doesn't have a library
> > you need, you provide it with the system in the rpm file. Same with Debian.
> My impression is that the various distributors are responsible for the
> packages (rpm, deb, etc.) not the developers. The developers'
> responsibility is for the source code only. Someone please correct me if
> I'm wrong.

That is correct, and is a point I have attempted to make here before.

The developers could not possibly be responsible for building packages
of every version of gnucash for each and every release of every distro.
We don't have the time, we don't have the hardware, and we'd much rather
be fixing real bugs in the software.
Next thing you know, people will be asking us why we don't provide
binaries for the FreeBSD, SPARC, and MacOS ports as well.

Conrad.