Tracking realized gains/losses with mutual funds

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
08 Dec 2002 11:34:03 -0600

--=-k1z5gy0B8Xl04rnpGNzS

On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 11:06, Errol Siegel wrote:
> I have a question about tracking mutual funds.  I have
> several mutual funds set up in gnucash.  I am able to
> track the current value and unrealized gain/loss just
> fine.  However, I traded shares of one fund for shares
> of another fund and in doing so realized a loss.  The
> Balance Sheet Report does not seem to have a way of
> showing this loss and instead shows an imbalance (in
> the amount of the loss).  I am using gnucash 1.6.8.=20
> Is this a known issue with this version?  Is there
> something I need to do differently to make this work?
>=20

Common accounting practice suggests creating accounts to hold realized
losses/gains.  I think it would be an Income account.  You should move
the amount of the loss/gain to the realized account.

You may want to invest in a decent accounting book that covers such
issues.  Once you understand the principles, creating the accounts is
trivial.

HTH a little,
--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print $i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow except=
 me.

--=-k1z5gy0B8Xl04rnpGNzS

--=-k1z5gy0B8Xl04rnpGNzS--