interesting feature suggestions (was: GnuCash vs. Quicken)

Shayne Lennox xonnels@netspace.net.au
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:38:02 +1100

Hi David/Conrad,

At 10:44 PM 8/12/2002, Conrad Canterford wrote:
> > Well, then how do you expect us to produce a solid release if you are
> > unwilling to test it?  I have never had a product ship that some user
> > hasn't come along and found some set of input that I never dreamed was
> > possible.  I have also never tried a new program and not found five to
> > ten ways to make it break.  The best way to find bugs in a program is
> > for people to use it.  We need your help, because we need a wide variety
> > of users trying to do a slew of different things with the program, and
> > each person does things his or her own way.  We can't work in a vacuum,
> > although we do try very hard.
>
>I'm sure David didn't mean to sound quite so irritated at you personally
>(though I could be wrong...  :-)). Tell us what distro and version
>you're running, and maybe someone will be able to build you a binary for
>you to install. I won't promise (depends on if you're running a
>compatible distro to one used by someone running CVS). Either that, or
>join the #gnucash channel on irc.gnome.org and someone can talk you
>through downloading and building from CVS (depending how much help you
>need, of course).

Installation is where the problem lies for me. At this point, I have little
experience installing things myself on Linux, only with getting some of the
"easy to use" distros (Mandrake and Red Hat 8.0) installed and selecting
gnucash from the available packages. When I progress beyond this depends
when I get around to using the OS for more than just GnuCash and read a big
fat Linux book. In the meantime, I haven't wanted to irritate people with
installation questions that might be considered general Linux knowledge I
should have known already before trying to install it.

So at the moment, double-clicking on an rpm file and invoking the graphical
package manager is the best I can do on my own. When I run
gnucash-1.7.5-1.i386.rpm, it complains about not having g-wrap >= 1.3.2
(and some other files). When I run g-wrap-1.3.2-1.i386.rpm, it complains
about not having libguile.so.6 (and one other file). When I run a guile rpm
with libguile.so.6 that I found through google, it complains that a newer
version of guile is already installed.

If I can break through the installation barrier, I would definitely give
the beta version a try. I'm currently running Red Hat 8.0.

Regards,

Shayne Lennox