OFX Support

Benoit Grégoire bock@step.polymtl.ca
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:07:02 -0500

On December 9, 2002 05:30 pm, Kevin Cramer wrote:
> Thank you for the information.  The only part I am unclear on is how I
> would get the OFX file from my bank.  It looks like your library does
> not handle getting the OFX file.

It changes for every bank, but for most, you can go to their homepage, chose
"online banking" or something to that effect, and there you will be able to
download the information.

> Have you found information on how to get the OFX from various banks
> and credit card companies?  It seems like that would be helpful.  I
> could probably use a packet sniffer to figure out the hostname/IP and
> port of the server but it would be a problem if they ever changed it.
> I wonder how Intuit handles it.  I guess the banks just give them
> updates.

As I said in my last message, that information is queried at runtime by
Quicken from a central Intuit server.  So yes, Intuit and Microsoft probably
receive an update everytime a bank moves their server.

> I wonder if GnuCash as a software project could ask banks to provide
> them with that information?  There might be a good chance they get
> turned down but you never know.  It would also be a lot of work to
> partner with all the banks to get that info. and I imagine the banks
> would worry about support issues.

We could (and should) try.  But remember, most ISPs still refuse to support
you if you are running Linux, imagine banks...

--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/