Gnucash help

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
10 Dec 2002 16:21:51 -0500

Robin,

> The biggest problem I've had with Gnucash is that when I do something
> inappropriate it doesn't warn me that I'm about to delete what I've just
> put in - Quicken does do that.  The tutorial Gnucash hasn't helped me a
> lot.  However, now I know how to exit properly and I don't have that
> problem any longer.  So hard lessons learned are lessons remembered, right?

For the record, I've noticed a number of places where "how" you
perform a task will result in different things happening.  For
example, if you use "tab" versus "enter" in the register will change
how it behaves.  Similarly, if you click on the little 'X' (destroy
window) button vs. using the 'Close' toolbar icon will cause different
things to happen.

As much as I'd like to say "the problem is that the register code is a
piece of spaghetti", it's more than just one problem.  There are a
number of problems compounded that cause different "code paths" to be
taken based on different user operations.  It's gross.  It's annoying.
It's confusing.  And frankly it's going to be a PitA to fix, but it is
on the list...  Just not for 1.8, I'm afraid.

I realize that "asking you to file a bugzilla report" might be
annoying, but...  Is there any way you could remember the specific
things that were not guarded against, and how you got there?  And if
you can, could you file a bug report on it by filling out the form at:

        http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash

The more detail you can add, the better...  IMHO, if GnuCash lets
you shoot yourself in the foot without at least warning you that
you've got a gun, it needs to be fixed ;)  We just need to know
_where_ those cases are (so we can fix them).

Thanks,