Have any users tried to build 1.7.5 on a MacOSX 10.2 system?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
13 Dec 2002 00:18:26 -0500

Richard,

> Following my usual unix software user approach, I have tried  running
> these commands: make, automake, and ./configure, I would have tried
> ./autogen.sh which was mentioned in doc/README.build-system but I do
> not 'find' that script among the source files.

First, there is no reason to ever run automake by hand, unless you are
actually doing active development (in which case you wouldn't be using
the tarball).

> Has anyone tried to build 1.7.5 on a MacOSX system?  Any suggestions
> for how a mere mortal might proceed when ./configure and make install
> are insufficent?  Heck, is anyone else even _using_ Gnucash on a MacOSX
> system?

Yes, Peter has been working on it, and it works fine.  Using
./configure; make; make install is perfectly sufficient, provided you
have all the required libraries installed.

> ./configure fails with this error:
> <snip>
> checking for ltdl.h... no
> configure: error: Cannot find ltdl.h -- libtool-devel not installed?

This implies that you do not have the libtool library installed; this
is what's wrong and specifically why the build failed.  The
"libtool-devel" is just a hint as to where to look.  Specifically, you
need the "libtool development library and headers".  I don't know
where to look for this -- you may need to download and install
libtool-1.4.2 on your own, or there may be a package.  I don't know,
but that's your first step.

Everything else you tried is, unfortunately, a red herring.

Install libtool and try again.  If configure fails again (most likely
on something else), I suggest you find and install the package that
configure says instead of going off and trying to fix configure.

Good Luck,