Mulitiple Versions

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
14 Dec 2002 00:31:35 -0800

On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 00:06, Carl Parrish wrote:
> Can you run multiple version of Gnucash on one machine? I think I want
> to try to build a version from CVS using the OFX support. Any
> suggestions on what I should do to protect my real data?

You can run multiple version of 1.7.x rather easily. Running 1.6 and 1.7
is a bit more complicated due to them needing different g-wrap versions.
As your previous email talked about 1.7.5 I'll assume that you mean
running the rpm and a cvs version. I am doing this right now, and it
works pretty well. There is one caveat, however. In order to run the
current CVS you need to upgrade g-wrap to 1.3.4 or greater. This would
mean you'd need to upgrade the rpm-s of g-wrap 1.3.2 to 1.3.4, which
means also building rpms. My suggestion to you right now is to wait
until next week when we have released GnuCash 1.7.6 as this release will
have g-wrap rpm's with them. The plan is to release this early monday
morning, but I am waiting on the g-wrap maintainer to release a new
version with some important fixes.

Once you have this new g-wrap and GnuCash 1.7.6 installed if you then
wish to use CVS follow the instructions on the webpage below this to
checkout the CVS and compile it into either a directory in your home dir
or /opt. This will keep it separate from the rpm install and allow you
to remove it easily.

http://www.gnucash.org/en/hacking.phtml

The suggestion to protect your real data is just to keep a backup copy
of the file somewhere.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit