Comments / Suggestions / a couple minor bugs in 1.7.5

Brian Smith bsmith3@charter.net
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:08:16 -0500

On 23 Dec 2002 18:38:26 -0600
  Matthew Vanecek <mevanecek@yahoo.com> wrote:
>It appears that basically what is being asked for is an
>entry wizard.
>While not a bad idea, you can achieve the same sort of
>functionality by
>setting view to Split for the loan payment.

No, this was originally a suggestion for a different way
of arranging the Loan Druid that would show how the
transaction was being built, and be more flexible and
intuitive than the current Druid.

>1) Rarely do people use the same account names for
>stuff.  PMI,
>   property taxes, warranty, whatever--people tend to
>create
>   names meaningful to them.  To make this work, you'd have to
>   tie the entry fields to specific accounts.

You need to find my original message, which mentioned that
the following page of the Druid after this would allow the
user to tie each of these amounts to an account.

>2) To be strictly technical, accountingly-speaking,
>you'd want
>   to expense your insurance, PMI, taxes, etc., on a
>monthly
>   basis, even though you only pay them yearly.  This
>can be
>   engineered via the new Scheduled Transaction
>interface, or
>   simply by duplicating an existing transaction.

I can't think of any reason why the average home user
would want to do that, but if they do, the Loan Druid
would still be able to handle that. If the user isn't
using an escrow account, those amounts will be expensed as
part of the loan payment. If there is an escrow account,
the next page of the Druid will schedule the expenses
monthly, yearly, or however.

>3) Given the availability of the Split view, it's
>unlikely that
>   such an interface would be developed soon.  I'm
>considering
>   the frequency of entry here, too--unless you're a
>real estate
>   broker, you probably only buy a house every 5 or 10
>years or
>   so.  It'd be much easier to use the above-mentioned
>Scheduled
>   Transaction interface (from a development
>perspective).

I'm trying to picture an average home user using the
current Loan Druid. I don't think the fact that they only
have to do it once in a while is going to counteract the
fact that it's unintuitive and doesn't allow them to see
the payment being built until the very end. By no means
would I want to hold up Q* or M$ Monee as paragons of
proper accounting, but one thing they do right is make
setting up loan payments easy. There's a lot the current
Loan Druid could learn from their Wizards.

>I think if you sit down, and draw on paper the interface
>you are
>thinking of, and then consider the additionaly interface
>needed to hook
>accounts to the options, you'll see that it's really not
>that much
>easier than using the Splits interface.

Perhaps not, but you can't use the Splits interface until
the Druid has already scheduled the transaction. The point
of my original suggestion was that the Druid should:

1) be easier to understand, and
2) show the amounts and how they combine into the total
payment before the transaction is set up, so the user
doesn't have to go back and modify it later.