Running GnuCash 1.7.6

Chris Vine chris@cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 09:10:13 +0000

Hi,

I have been successfully using GnuCash 1.6.8 for a while (compiled from source
using gcc-2.95.3 on Slackware 8.1.01), with guppi-0.40.3, guile 1.4.1,
slib-2d5 and g-wrap-1.1.11.

In order to run GnuCash 1.7.6 I have compiled and installed g-wrap-1.3.4 and
then GnuCash 1.7.6, in both cases with an install prefix of /usr (the same as
was used for GnuCash 1.6.8), and manual inspection shows that everything
appears to be in the right place.  GnuCash compiles without error, but when
trying to run it, it bombs out at the start with the message:

ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
ERROR: file not found

This is not very helpful, but seems to be a scheme/guile error.  The configure
script demands guile >= 1.3.4 and < 1.5.0 and g-wrap >= 1.3.3, which are
requirements that my system meets.  An extract from the output produced by
configure is as follows:

checking for guile-config... yes
checking whether guile-config works... yes
checking for sin in -lm... yes
checking for guile libraries... -L/usr/lib -lguile -lqthreads -lpthread -lm
checking for guile headers... -I/usr/include
checking whether guile works... yes
checking for guile... /usr/bin/guile
checking for guile - 1.3.4 <= version < 1.5.0... yes
checking for g-wrap-config... /usr/bin/g-wrap-config
checking for g-wrap - 1.3.3 <= version < 99.99.99... yes
checking for g-wrap compile args... -I /usr/include/g-wrap
checking for g-wrap link args... -L/usr/lib -lgwrap-wct -lgwrap-glib
checking for g-wrap module directory... /usr/share/guile
checking if guile long_long is at least as big as gint64... yes
checking for scm_long_long2num in -lguile... no
checking if unsigned long is at least as big as guint32... yes
checking if guile needs our copy of srfi-1... yes
checking if guile needs our copy of srfi-11... yes
checking if guile needs our copy of srfi-19... yes
checking if guile needs our copy of srfi-2... yes
checking if guile needs our copy of srfi-8... yes
checking if guile needs our copy of srfi-9... yes
checking if guile needs our copy of (guile www)... yes

Is there something else which is not detected by configure that I need to
upgrade in order to make the thing work?  Does anyone have any other
suggestions - is there perhaps an environmental variable that g-wrap-1.3.4 or
gnucash-1.7.6 needs to have set in order to find a relevant file? (But
/usr/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash-env seems to specify them correctly.)

when /sbin/ldconfig is run it correctly detects the new libgw*, libgncmodule
and libcoreutils libraries installed in /usr/lib.

Chris.