Stock Accounts

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
01 Feb 2002 06:06:06 -0600

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 15:17, Pete Truog wrote:
> It seems to me that
> you are able to create an account naming it a stock account and then expected
> to list ONE stock that that account holds.

Right ... that's what an "account" is: a way to "count" how much of a
certain kind of thing you own.  That means you must have one distinct
type of "thing" per account.  For stock accounts, thatmeans one type of
security.

> Now
> what seems to be a "work-around" is to create an asset account and then setup
> seperate sub stock accounts, though this seems counter intuitive to me.

That's the only way to do it.  The model you are expecting (which is
sort of like Quicken's, I think) isn't supported by Gnucash, and since
it violates the basic concept of what an account is, it's unlikely to
ever be done.

b.g.