.xac and .log files - what's essential?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:26:13 -0600

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:17:36PM +0000, Dana Priesing was heard to remark:
> Greetings,
>
> I see in Gnucash's directory on my C drive an ever-growing number of .xac
> and .log files.  Can anyone (1) tell me what files are essential to
> showing the current state of accounts, and (2) suggest an archiving or
> deletion strategy for the rest, so that they don't consume disk space
> unnecessarily? If there's a link to prior discussion of this issue, that
> would be fine too.

The mauil archives should have a discussion.
The only files that are essential to operation are the files without the
numbers in the file name.

Delete the log files.

The other xacc files are automated backups. If you look carefully, the
string of numbers is actually a date.  You can delete most of these.
You may want to keep a feww old ones around 'just in case' (e.g. just in
case you deleted some account, and later regret that move.)

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>