Split Transactions question (fwd)

Dale Alspach alspach@math.okstate.edu
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:34:50 -0600

I suggest a little different approach. Create an asset account called
reimbursement. When you pay for the class you transfer from an asset such
as checking to reimbursement which acts as an accounts receiveable. When
you get reimbursed you transfer from reimbursement to your checking.
This way your income and expense statement and balance statement stay
neutral with respect to these transactions. This assumes that the class
is not some sort of income for tax purposes. ( a taxable perq or benefit)

Effectively you are making a loan to your employer and then (s)he is paying
you back.

Dale Alspach

------- Forwarded Message

From: Eric Schwarz <emschwar@debian.org>
To: gnucash-user@lists.gnumatic.com
Subject: Re: Split Transactions question
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:13:35 -0700

> Here's how I normally process my paychecks:
>
> 	debit: asset checking account
> 	credit: income salary account.
>
> Now, looking at my monthly reports, this casts the illusion that I got a
> raise, and that my expenses have gone way up because I initially paid for
> the class and then was reimbursed.
>
> I'd be super grateful for any pointers in how to process this.

I do all my paychecks as a split transaction-- raw income from income
salary account is reduced by taxes, deductions, and so forth, and the
remaining pennies are added to my checking account.  For this sort of
thing, I just add a line item to my paycheck split that adds income
from my Income:Job-Related Reimbursements account.  So:

	debit: asset checking account
	credit: income salary account
	credit: income reimbursement account

Plus a whole bunch of debits for the aforementioned taxes & fees.

- -=Eric
- --

------- End of Forwarded Message