Re[2]: German Translation of Tool

Rusty Carruth rcarruth@tempe.tt.slb.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 08:08:11 -0700 (MST)

lmb <lars@marowsky-bree.de> wrote:
> On 2002-01-02T14:02:17,
>    "Robert A. Uhl" <ruhl@4dv.net> said:
>
> > > Is this related to the fact that umlauts used in text "disappear" when the
> > > first report is opened (if there are accounts with umlauts), and that no
> > > umlauts can be entered further on, making gnucash literally unuseable for
> > > German users?
> > Well, one can always resort to the vowel+e hack...
>
> *sigh* Yeah. I am busy converting all my account names right now. Can I do a
> regex replace on the XML files? ;-)

I'd like to know if the following is a 'safe' way to do what you are asking,
but differently than you probably thought ;-)

Here's the scheme:

copy your current guncash file to a new file (I seem to only have one 'real'
file for my accounts, with lots of logs and such also - am I correct?  If not,
then copy ALL the needed files to a new name).

Then, you can use xemacs, sed, awk, perl, or whatever you wish to modify
your xml file(s).

A while back someone asked about how to cross years, and this is the approach
I want to try out (delete all transactions, but leave the accounts).  Unless someone
has a better approach which I missed...

rc

Rusty E. Carruth       Email:     rcarruth@Tempe.tt.slb.com or rcarruth@slb.com
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE                   ___
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116   \e/
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825                V
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W  http://tuxedo.org/~esr/ecsl/index.html
"Why would anyone choose a tool that is the primary virus vector of the known universe?" - me