End of year processing?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:12:29 -0600

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 09:57:39AM -0800, Matthew Vanecek was heard to remark:

> --- "Timothy J. Miller" <cerebus@sackheads.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-01-04 at 00:01, Greg Wilkins wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to be able to delete all transactions
> > from previous financial
> > > years and ideally have the opening balances
> > adjusted.
> >
> > > Are there any utilties for doing this?
> >
> > Why not close the books, export the account list,
> > and open a new set?

this is the only way to do it currently.  You have to set the opening
balances by hand.

> What do you mean by "close the books"?  Taking it
> literally, I was not aware that gnucash had such a
> facility.

I'm working on adding such a feature in gnucash-1.8.
Its 'mostly' done; have to add the gui, though.

> And we really don't want to close
> bank/credit/etc accounts whose balances don't rely on
> year-end processing but rather on real-time useage.

when you close a bank account at year-end, create a new
account just like tohe old one, and you bring
its balance forward as the 'opening balance'

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>