Stock gains/losses cause balance sheet imbalance

Nikunj Bansal nikunj@yahoo.com
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 04:27:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,

I have broken my head obver this one for sometime now
and I am not able to figure this out myself. Maybe
someone here can help.

Ok, say, I bought $1000 of stock X and few days later
sold them at $900, taking a $100 loss, or at $1100
taking a $100 profit. How would I show this in gnucash
so that the Balance sheet remains balanced i.e. Assets
= Equity + Profits + Liability?

As of now the way my accounts are arranged, everything
balances out but my Balance sheet is imbalanced
exactly by the amount of money that I lost (sadly :-()
on stock trades during the year.

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Nikunj.