Stock gains/losses cause balance sheet imbalance

Nikunj Bansal nikunj@yahoo.com
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 07:43:57 -0800 (PST)

Charles,

Thanks for the response.
This is exactly where I am getting stuck in fact. I am
trying to strictly follow the double accounting. In
fact, my balance sheet is almost perfectly matched...
except that there is some flaw in the way I am doing
the stock trades. The balance sheet is off by exactly
the amount I lost in stock trades during the year.

This is how I am doing it. When I bought stock X, I
show the money coming from cash as the double entry.
Hence cash gets reduced by $1000 and when I sold those
stocks, say for $900... I do the reverse. The cash now
increases by $900 and stock numbers fall back to 0.
Now.. suddenly my assets (cash) has fallen by $100 but
there is no corresponding Income/Expense to reflect
this and hence the balance sheet is off. I have been
struggling with how to do this correctly.

Can u suggest in more detail.

Thanks
Nikunj.

--- "Charles M. Gajan" <charlesgajan@earthlink.net>