GNUcash DOES work for me!

Tim Meador tmeador@kc.rr.com
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 19:21:51 -0600

Hey everybody!

A while back, when I was just getting started with Linux, I posted a meassage
called "Will GNUcash ever work for me?".  In it, I mostly complained about my
difficulties with trying to upgrade from 1.4.1, supplied with my Mandrake 8.0
distro to 1.6.4, mostly to gain printing capabilties.  Of course, I hit
Dependency Hell.

Anyway, I just wanted to put a different perspective on what I said, from a
now better informed though still newbie-level Linux user point of view.
Sorry about my grumpy original post.  Severe frustration was setting in.  But
in my defense, I was very glad to see that the new improved site has some
badly needed heavy-duty warnings against all but the most expert users trying
to upgrade except by a newer version included in a later distro.  This is
good advice that I've taken.  So, I've stuck with 1.4.1 and accepted the
no-print limitation, which is really not that big a deal.

But what a nice little program!  Yes, GNUcash WILL work for me!  GNUcash, in
it's wonderful simplicity, just KILLS MS money or Quicken!  Took me a while
to get used to it, but I'm glad I took the time.  (Figuring out how to enter
a split transaction was a particularly long time coming - splits are not in
the documentation unless you notice the mention of it under configuring
single-double-multi line display.)  It has been rock-solid stable, and does
pretty much everything I need at home.  A business version, when available,
will find itself on my business setup too.

Many, many, thanks  to all of you who work so hard at writing the software
and trying to help those of us who have problems.  Your donation of your
time, skill, and patience benefits us all.  Keep up the good work!