Correct way to book a [auto] loan

Mike Sabin m_sabin@mindspring.com
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 21:52:31 -0700

For my loans, I have created an amortization schedule in gnumeric that
shows interest and principal for the life of the loan.  Use the ipmt and
ppmt functions to get the interest portion and principal portion,
respectively, of your total payment, as a function of the interest rate,
term, payment number, and orig. principal.  When I get ready to enter my
monthly loan transaction in gnucash, I just open my spreadsheet, use the
current month's interest and principal numbers for the transaction, and
mark that month complete in my spreadsheet.  Of course, many loans have
non-standard amortization schemes, so check your loan docs.

Mike Sabin

P.S. I'd be happy to email my spreadsheet to anyone interested.