Stock Accounts

Pete Truog ptruog@yahoo.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:17:24 -0800

Hi all, I have a quick question (I hope).  I am using gnucash-1.6.4 (thanks
to someone who built the slackware packages at www.linuxpackages.net) and
I've come across a problem that I can't wrap my little head around.  I want
to setup an account, and I want this account to hold (more than one
stock/mutual fund/bond/whatever equity/debt instrament).  It seems to me that
you are able to create an account naming it a stock account and then expected
to list ONE stock that that account holds.  However, I want a one-to-many
relationship with my stock account and the number of titles it holds rather
than what seems to be a one-to-one relationship that is currently setup.  Now
what seems to be a "work-around" is to create an asset account and then setup
seperate sub stock accounts, though this seems counter intuitive to me.

So I guess my question in general is: What has anyone else done to create a
stock account that holds more than one equity/debt title in it?

Thanks,

Pete